July 7. Story of the Day: Jackdaw and Wren

This story comes from Folk Tales of Assam by Jnanadabhiram Borooah. Assam is located in the far northeast of India; you can read about the people of Assam at Wikipedia.

This is yet another example of ATU 2030. The Old Woman and her Pig. In particular, this is a story about a bird who needs water to wash its beak like the crow in The Sparrow and the Crow.

At the end of the story, you will see an elaborate formula for ending the story. For a short closing formula, compare this Persian story: "And now my story has come to an end, but the sparrow never got home" (The Fox's Pilgrimage to Mecca).

And for more stories, click here for previous Stories-of-the-Day.



THE JACKDAW AND THE TIPASI




Once upon a time there were a jackdaw and a little tipasi bird (wren). They made friends. one day when they were perched on a tree, they saw an old woman drying some boilded rice in the sun.

The jackdaw said to the little bird, "Friend, friend, do you see the old woman drying her boiled rice in the sun? Let us go and get some."

The little bird said, "Yes, let us."

"My friend," replied the jackdaw, "there is a condition: if you can't carry as much rice in your beak as I shall in mine, I shall eat you up, and if I can't carry as much in mine as you will in yours, you will eat me up."

These words made the little bird think that it was impossible she would be able to carry as much as the jackdaw, so she came to the conclusion that it was the jackdaw's intention to eat her. But she said to herself, "Let me see, however, how he does it," and she replied, "Very well, friend, I am game."

The jackdaw then said to the little bird, "Have your first chance then."

The tipasi replied, "No, friend, you had better have yours first."

On which the jackdaw replied, "No, friend, it is you who are to have your turn first; I come after you."

The tipasi on hearing this brought a little beakful with her little beak. The jackdaw followed after and he brought many times as much with his beak as the little bird brought in hers.

And the jackdaw then replied, "Friend, let me then eat you up."

"Certainly, you will eat me up," said the tipasi, "but you see, you eat all manner of dead bodies and your beak has an awful smell. Pray, go and wash your beak in the sea, and then come and eat me up."

The jackdaw replied, "Very well, friend, I shall do just as you ask me to and will return immediately after I have washed it in the sea."

And he flew to the sea and called out, "Brother Sea, Brother Sea."

The sea replied, "What is it?"

The jackdaw said, "Give me some water to wash my beak. For I want to eat a tipasi chick."

The Sea replied, "How shall I give it to you? If you can bring with you some sort of cup, bowl, or a jar, I may give you some then; how otherwise?"

The jackdaw on hearing this flew to a potter to get a jar. On reaching the potter's, he called out, "Brother Potter, Brother Potter, are you at home?"

The potter replied, "Yes, what can I do for you?"

The jackdaw said, "Give ma jar so that I may have some water to wash my beak and eat a little tipasi."

The potter said, "I have not any jar ready at present; if you get me a little earth, I could make you one."

Then the jackdaw went and asked for some earth from the Earth, saying, "Give me some earth so that I may give it to the potter to make a jar to draw some water. I wish to wash my beak and eat a little tipasi."

The Earth replied, "How can I help you with some myself? If you can manage to dig some, you are welcome."

On having this reply, the jackdaw hastened to a buffalo and said, "Lend me your horn to dig the earth with. I want to make it over to the potter for a jar. I shall then draw some water to wash my beak with and eat the tipasi."

The buffalo replied, "How can I give you my horn myself? If you can manage to take it, do so."

Whereupon the jackdaw approached a dog and said, "Kill the buffalo. I want his horn to dig the earth with so that I may give it to a potter to make me a jar to draw water in to wash my beak with and eat the tipasi."

The dog replied, "I have not had milk for a long time, so I am not as strong as I was. If you can get me some milk, I shall be able to kill the buffalo."

On hearing this, the jackdaw approached a cow and said, "Give me milk to feed the dog who will kill the buffalo for me and give me his horn to dig the earth I shall give to the potter to make me a jar with which I shall draw water to wash my beak with and then eat the tipasi."

The cow replied, "I am getting old now and I have not had a good feed of grass for a long time; if you can get me some good grass, I shall give you as much milk as you like."

Then the jackdaw addressed the grass, saying, "Give me some grass to feed the cow who would give me milk for the dog who will kill the buffalo for me and give me his horn to dig the earth I shall give to the potter to make me a jar with which I shall draw water to wash my beak with and then eat the tipasi."

The grass replied, "How could I give you some myself? You are welcome to cut and take it."

He then went to the blacksmith and called out from outside, "Brother Smith, are you in?"

The blacksmith replied, "Yes, Brother Daw, what brings you here?"

The jackdaw replied, "Give me a spud [spade]. I want to cut some grass to feed the cow who would give me milk for the dog who will kill the buffalo and give me his horn to dig the earth I shall give to the potter to make me a jar with which I shall draw water to wash my beak with and then eat the tipasi."

The blacksmith said, "The fire has gone out; if you can get some fire, I shall make you a spade most gladly."

The jackdaw happening to look round saw some smoke on the other side of the water. No sooner he saw it, he flew to the other side and found an old woman boiling some paddy [unmilled rice]. He approached her and asked for some fire.

The old woman said, "How will you carry it?"

The jackdaw replied, "Well, tie some to my wing."

The old woman did so. The jackdaw crossed the sea and when he was flying across, the wind blowing hard, his wings caught fire and he dropped onto the water and was drowned.

And now the tipasi was all along noticing what the jackdaw was doing from beginning to end. He, on witnessing such an end of the jackdaw, flew away in great delight from his perch to a branch of another tree.

I too had to return as my clothes had to be sent to be washed. The Dhekia plant opened out its ear and my tale has come to an end. The betel-nut has opened its flower; who will go where? The black cat's white ears... and call out the name of Rama.


No comments: