Venkataswami. The Crow and its Ninety Eggs

From Folktales from India by M. N. Venkataswami.

I don't have a tale type for this story, but there are other stories that offer a chain of blame.


THE CROW AND ITS NINETY EGGS

Thpjre lived a crow who laid ninety eggs. All of them had dried up except one. The crow asked the egg, ‘Oh egg, how is it that all the eggs have dried but you?’

‘The grass obstructed me by its shadow’ was the reply.

Hearing this the crow went to the grass and asked, ‘Oh grass, why didst thou obstruct?’

‘Because the horse did not browse.’

‘Oh horse, why didst thou not browse?’

‘Because the boy did not tether me.’

‘Oh boy, why didst thou not tether the horse?’

‘Because the girl did not give me conjee.'


‘Oh girl, why didst thou not give the boy conjee?’

‘Because the ant bit me.’

‘Oh ant, why didst thou bite the girl?’

‘How could I keep quiet when one puts his finger in my golden hole?’



No comments: