June 21. Story of the Day: Fishing Simon

This song comes from Negro Folk Rhymes by Thomas Talley, the first African-American to publish a book of folk rhymes and songs; you can read more about the remarkable Dr. Talley at Wikipedia.

Based on the West African story about a pigeon who behaves very much like the fish in this story, I've decided this story can be classified as ATU 2041. The Bird Indifferent to Pain. Luckily for the hero of this story, the fish are not as dangerous as the devil-pigeon! You can read that story here: The Devil Turns Pigeon. The indestructible bird also shows up in stories from India like The Mango Bird. I like this fish version the best though!

I enjoyed finding this story even more because a friend of mine's son, named Simon, is a professional fishing guide in east Texas (Lake Livingston); here's his site: Simon Cosper's Get the Net Guide Service. Luckily, he has not met any supernatural fish like the one in this story!

Ready for more stories? Click here for previous Stories-of-the-Day.



FISHING SIMON

Simon tuck his hook an' pole,
An' fished on Sunday we's been told.
Fish dem water death bells ring,
Talk from out'n de water, sing—

"Bait yō' hook, Simon!
Drap yō' line, Simon!
Now ketch me, Simon!
Pull me out, Simon!
Take me home, Simon!
Now clean me, Simon!
Cut me up now, Simon!
Now salt me, Simon!
Now fry me, Simon!
Dish me up now, Simon!
Eat me all, Simon!"

Simon e't till he wus full.
Still dat fish keep his plate full.
Simon want no mō' at all,
Fish say dat he mus' eat all.
Simon's sick, so he throw up!
He give Sunday fishin' up.




No comments: