August 4. Story of the Day: A Flower-Maiden

This is a story from India, specifically from the region of Assam in northeast India; it comes from Folk Tales of Assam by Jnanadabhiram Borooah.

I don't have a tale type for this story, but there are similar stories that offer a chain of blame. This particular chain goes through a whole series of interconnected characters until it ends with... a frog.

Looking for more stories? Click here for previous Stories-of-the-Day.



FLOWER-MAIDEN AND FLOWER PLANT


Once upon a time there was a malinee or flower-maiden (gardener), and she planted a flower-plant with great care. Though she used to look after it with great care, yet it would not flower. She, therefore, asked it one day, "Plant, Plant, why do you not flower?"

The plant replied, "If I am to flower, why then does the cow eat my forepart?"

The malinee thereupon approached the cow and asked, "Cow, Cow, why is it that you eat the forepart of the plant?"

Cow: "Why doesn't the cowherd look after me, and why should not I then eat?"

Malinee: "Cowherd, Cowherd, why don't you mind the cow!"

Cowherd: "The cook does not give me rice; why should I then mind the cow?"

Malinee: "Cook, Cook, why do you not give rice?"

Cook: "Why does not the faggot-seller give faggots? How else could I give rice?"

Malinee: "Faggot-seller, Faggot-seller, why don't you give faggots?"

Faggot-seller: "The blacksmith does not give me an axe; how could I then give?"

Malinee: "Blacksmith, Blacksmith, why do you not give an axe?"

Blacksmith: "The cinders-seller does not give me any cinders; how could I give an axe?"

Malinee: "Cinders-seller, Cinders-seller, why do you not give cinders?"

Cinders-seller: "If I am to give cinders, why does the cloud shower rain?"

Malinee: "Cloud, Cloud, why do you shower rain?"

Cloud: "Why does then the frog croak?"

Malinee: "Frog, Frog, why do you croak?"

Frog: "Why should I give up the practice of my ancestors?"



No comments: