June 23. Story of the Day: Abraham and the Star, Moon, and Sun

This story of Abraham comes from the Quran, Surah 6, verses 74-79, which I have presented below in three different English translations. To learn more about Abraham in Islam, see Wikipedia.

This story is classified as ATU 2031B. Abraham learns to worship God (which is a subtype of the Stronger and Strongest class of stories). This story is not part of the Hebrew Bible, but it is part of Hebrew extra-Biblical tradition as you can see in these stories: The True Believer and Abraham and Nimrod.

Want more? Click here for previous Stories-of-the-Day.


ABRAHAM AND THE STAR, MOON, AND SUN



From Clear Quran:

74. Abraham said to his father Azar, “Do you take idols for gods? I see that you and your people are in evident error.”

75. Thus We showed Abraham the empire of the heavens and the earth, that he might be one of those with certainty.

76. When the night fell over him, he saw a planet. He said, “This is my lord.” But when it set, he said, “I do not love those that set.”

77. Then, when he saw the moon rising, he said, “This is my lord.” But when it set, he said, “If my Lord does not guide me, I will be one of the erring people.”

78. Then, when he saw the sun rising, he said, “This is my lord, this is bigger.” But when it set, he said, “O my people, I am innocent of your idolatry.

79. I have directed my attention towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth—a monotheist—and I am not of the idolaters.”


From the Wright House site:

74. Lo! Abraham said to his father Azar: "Takest thou idols for gods? For I see thee and thy people in manifest error."

75. So also did We show Abraham the power and the laws of the heavens and the earth, that he might (with understanding) have certitude.

76. When the night covered him over, He saw a star: He said: "This is my Lord." But when it set, He said: "I love not those that set."

77. When he saw the moon rising in splendour, he said: "This is my Lord." But when the moon set, He said: "unless my Lord guide me, I shall surely be among those who go astray."

78. When he saw the sun rising in splendour, he said: "This is my Lord; this is the greatest (of all)." But when the sun set, he said: "O my people! I am indeed free from your (guilt) of giving partners to Allah.

79. "For me, I have set my face, firmly and truly, towards Him Who created the heavens and the earth, and never shall I give partners to Allah."


From quran.com (which also has the Arabic text and audio):

74 And [mention, O Muhammad], when Abraham said to his father Azar, "Do you take idols as deities? Indeed, I see you and your people to be in manifest error."

75 And thus did We show Abraham the realm of the heavens and the earth that he would be among the certain [in faith]

76 So when the night covered him [with darkness], he saw a star. He said, "This is my lord." But when it set, he said, "I like not those that disappear."

77 And when he saw the moon rising, he said, "This is my lord." But when it set, he said, "Unless my Lord guides me, I will surely be among the people gone astray."

78 And when he saw the sun rising, he said, "This is my lord; this is greater." But when it set, he said, "O my people, indeed I am free from what you associate with Allah.

79 Indeed, I have turned my face toward He who created the heavens and the earth, inclining toward truth, and I am not of those who associate others with Allah."


No comments: