July 20. Story of the Day: Ibotity

This story from Madagascar is reported in Malagasy Folktales by James Sibree, in The Folk-lore Journal, volume 2 (1884; online at Hathi Trust). You can find out more about Madagascar and the people who live there at Wikipedia.

This is an example of TMI Z42. Stronger and Strongest = ATU 2031. After fire tells about the strength of water, our author gives up ("But it would be tedious to give every detail in full"), so I took the liberty of filling in the sequence using the preceding formula.

Looking for more stories? Click here for previous Stories-of-the-Day.


IBOTITY




Once upon a time this Ibotity went and climbed a tree; and when the wind blew hard the tree was broken; whereupon Ibotity fell and broke his leg. So he said, “The tree indeed is strong, for it can break the leg of Ibotity.”

Then said the tree, “I am not strong, for it is the wind that is strong.”

Then said Ibotity, “The wind it is which is strong! For the wind broke tree, and the tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“I am not strong,” said the wind, “for if I were strong should I be stopped by the hill?”

“Ah, it is the hill which is strong!" said Ibotity; “for the hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, the tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the hill, “for if I were strong I should not be burrowed by the mice.”

“Ah, it is the mouse which is strong!" said Ibotity; “for mouse burrowed into hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the mouse, “for am I strong who can be killed by the cat?”

“Ah, it is the cat which is strong!” said Ibotity; “for the cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed into hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the cat, “for am I strong who am caught by the rope and cannot escape?”

“Ah, it is the rope which is strong,” said Ibotity, “for the rope caught the cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed into hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the rope, “for am I strong and am
cut by the iron?"

“Then it is the iron which is strong,” said Ibotity, “for the iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the iron, “for am I strong which am softened by the fire?”

“Ah, it is the fire which is strong,” said Ibotity.

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the fire, “for am I strong and am put out by water?"

“Ah, it is the water which is strong," said Ibotity, “for water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the water, “for am I strong and am crossed by the canoe?"

“Ah, it is the canoe which is strong," said Ibotity, “for canoe crossed water, water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the canoe, “for the rock breaks me."

“Ah, it is the rock which is strong," said Ibotity, “for rock broke canoe, canoe crossed water, water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the rock, “for the man breaks me."

“Ah, it is the man which is strong," said Ibotity, “for man broke rock, rock broke canoe, canoe crossed water, water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the man, “for the sorcerer overcomes me."

“Ah, it is the sorcerer which is strong," said Ibotity, “for sorcerer overcame man, man broke rock, rock broke canoe, canoe crossed water, water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the sorcerer, “for the poison ordeal of the tangena kills me"

“Ah, it is the tangena which is strong," said Ibotity, “for tangena killed sorcerer, sorcerer overcame man, man broke rock, rock broke canoe, canoe crossed water, water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

“Nay, I am not strong,” said the tangéna, “for God overcomes me.”

“Ah, it is God who is strong,” said Ibotity, “for God overcame tangéna, tangéna killed sorcerer, sorcerer overcame man, man broke rock, rock broke canoe, canoe crossed water, water quenched fire, fire softened iron, iron cut rope, rope caught cat, cat killed mouse, mouse burrowed hill, hill stopped wind, wind broke tree, tree broke the leg of Ibotity.”

So Ibotity and all things agreed that God is the strongest of all, and governs all things in the world, whether in the heaven above, or on the earth beneath, or underneath the earth, or to the verge of the sky, for God will bear rule for ever and ever.


No comments: