Halliwell. The key of the king's garden.

From The Nursery Rhymes of England by James Orchard Halliwell, with illustrations by W. B. Scott.

For a longer version, played as a game, see Godey's Lady's Book below.

This is Roud 20175.


THE KEY OF THE KING'S GARDEN

I sell you the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the string that ties the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the rat that gnawed the string that ties the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the cat that caught the rat that gnawed the string that ties the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the dog that bit the cat that caught the rat that gnawed the string that ties the key of the king's garden.

~  ~  ~

Here is a game version from Godey's Lady's Book, Vol. 80 (1870; online at Google Books).

The players seat themselves in a circle, and the one best acquainted with the game commences. Every player making a mistake must pay a forfeit.

I sell you the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the stick that beat the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the fire that burnt the stick that beat the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of the king's garden.

I sell you the water that put out the fire that burnt the stick that beat the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of king's garden.

I sell you the pail that brought the water that put out the fire that burnt the stick that beat the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of king's garden.

I sell you the well that filled the pail that brought the water that quenched the fire that burnt the stick that beat the dog that worried the cat that killed the rat that gnawed the beam in which is the nail where hangs the string that holds the key of king's garden.



No comments: